Back to school season… This was always my favorite time of the year in college!
It’s so funny how in high school you’re dying to just make it all year to summer. But in college, you’re eager to get back to your college campus + see all of your friends. Summer’s great + all, but you truly belong in your college town with your best friends by your side.
I know that a lot of you are in college, mostly in your junior // senior years. Although I graduated (almost) two years ago, I wanted to share some advice + things that I wish I knew in college.
So, I’ll start off with a lil background info.
In college, I majored in Communication Studies and double minored in Public Relations + Digital Communication / New Media. I attended Kutztown University of Pennsylvania – a small / mid sized, state school basically in the middle of nowhere, HAHA! I was in a sorority (Delta Zeta) + a Communication Studies honor society. Currently, I work for an Advertising Agency (basically, marketing) working in Social Media (no shocker there).
Here are a few college throwback pictures, LOL!
Funny enough, I actually enjoyed going to a school “in the middle of no where”. Although, at the time… I didn’t know how much I truly appreciated it. Hindsight is always 20/20, am I right?
My campus was beautiful (seriously) and being able to walk to class was amazing. Although we had to drive 30 minutes to the closest mall // restaurants, having the sprawling space + beautiful scenery was a “once in a lifetime” experience for me. Mostly because I don’t think that I’ll ever move back to “the country”… I’m definitely a city girl. I grew up in the suburbs of Philly, and obviously now live in the city. So, green space + quiet time is at an all time low for me now.
Anyways, I wanted to share a few things that I wish I knew while still in college.
- Take A Deep Breath. Seriously, stop worrying all of the time. Be present. Be here.
- You Can Change Your Mind. About your major,about what you thought you wanted to study. I went into college undecided, having no clue what I wanted to major in. That first semester, I took all Gen Ed classes… trying to figure out what the heck I wanted to study for the next four years. Throughout my college career, I added two minors – Public Relations and Digital Communication / New Media . I shifted as I chose, adding on things that I was interested in and gave me a more well rounded background. Look, your interests when you’re 17 or 18 as a freshman in college are going to be different by the time that you’re 21 and 22, about to graduate.
- Don’t Let Your Major Define You. Just because you’re a business major doesn’t mean that you aren’t creative. Just because you majored in something creative like Art doesn’t mean that you aren’t entrepreneurial or business minded. There are so many other outlets for you to let your other passions shine. Such as: a blog, a YouTube channel, various clubs // activities. Don’t tell yourself that you “can’t” do something just because you didn’t major in it in college. Your major in college doesn’t define you.
- What You Thought Your Life Might Look Like May Change. So don’t get so hung up on this “idea” that you had in your mind. The fact of the matter is that you may become a teacher and realize after that first year out of college that you’re heart isn’t in it. You may get your first “real” corporate job + realize that the 9-5 life isn’t for you. You may start a small business + have it take off.
- Say Yes. To the party even though you have homework due. To the study date in the library even though you’re exhausted. College is such a unique time. I know that it sounds cliche, but these are four years of life where you still have freedom. Aside from your classes + academics (obviously important) you have a lot of time command your own schedule.
I hope that this helped any of you who are back at school! This is such an exciting time in your lives – soak it up!